Level up your marketing communication skills
Marketing communication skills play many roles in driving long-term sales. Firstly, they help you reach and engage your target audience. Then, they help you share what your brand stands for. And most importantly, they help your customers understand what your brand will do for them.
So, read our skill guides to learn how to deliver persuasive and influential marketing communications. How do you create great advertising and impactful media plans? What role does public relations play? Or packaging? Or sales promotions? Our guides help you connect with your audience with the right message, at the right time and in the right way.
Level up your marketing communication skills
Learn the seven key steps of the advertising development process. With a focus on the brief, use this guide to improve the impact of your advertising. And learn how to get the best out of your creative agency.
- Learn the seven key steps of the advertising development process.
- Understand the role of advertising in your business and marketing plan.
- Read our key tips on how to write a great communication brief and how to brief your marketing agencies.
Knowing how to evaluate advertising, helps you focus on improving it. Read our guide on how to give feedback on the advertising idea, what’s in the post campaign analysis and when to review competitor ads.
- Learn how to evaluate and give feedback on the advertising idea from your marketing agency.
- Identify your options to track and measure advertising impact on your performance.
- The importance of reviewing and learning from competitor advertising.
Media planning and buying puts your advertising messages in front of your target audience. Read about key media channels, how to work with media agencies and how to read a media schedule.
- Learn when to use the three key media styles of broadcast, narrowcast and monocast media.
- Understand what a media agency does to support your marketing.
- Learn how to review a media schedule and the key measures that relate to return on advertising spend.
Public relations is the process of how you manage positive perception of your company and brand. Read our guide on the key roles and tools of public relations to boost your marketing plan. And finally, learn the importance of authenticity in PR.
- Learn the role of public relations and the six key activities which can support your marketing plan.
- Read our guide to the key tools and channels that support public relations activities.
- Define the basic process for public relations activities and how to evaluate the impact on perceptions and sales.
Read our guide to packaging development for key design principles and how to use them in packaging. Learn the role packaging plays for your customers. And lastly, learn why it’s important to factor in the impact on your supply chain.
- Learn how packaging development can support your brand identity.
- Understand the information needed by consumers when they see the packaging.
- Review key practical and physical considerations associated with the product and packaging as it moves though the supply chain.
Sales promotion focusses on the point of purchase. Read our guide to learn key tools you can use to drive trial and short-term sales. So, why does visibility matter? How do you best use pricing? And finally, learn how to best support your sales team.
- Read how sales promotion materials drive visibility and presence.
- Learn about different options to use price to drive sales promotion.
- The different types of promotional materials you can use to support your sales team.
We also cover more technical digital topics like marketing technology and data in this section as well as the overall digital business model. Also, check out our guide to the marketing plan. This is where you’ll define the need for communications, and how much traditional and digital activity you’ll need.
Three-brains and marketing communications skills
We have many years of marketing communications experience. That experience includes hundreds of projects, big and small across all types of marketing communications skills. It’s a fun area of marketing. But one where it’s easy to go wrong, if you don’t know what you’re doing.
So, whether you need direct help with a communications challenge, or just a different point of view from what your agency tells you, we can help. We focus on delivering great communication work that really connects with consumers.
To support your marketing communications activity, you can download our communication brief template. This brief covers key areas around brand, objectives, communications, rationale and project details.
The brief is an important first step to achieve clear and consistent communications. It sets the goal and expectations for all steps that follow.
You can also check out other free downloads in our resources section.
In addition, Powerpoint and Keynote versions of this document are available on request.